The regional West Norway Exhibition was established in 1922, with the aim drawing attention to the West Norwegian art scene and supporting the artists through acquisitions. In 1926 the West Norway Exhibition was expanded to include art from the central Norwegian county of Trøndelag – for the first and last time. The exhibition was curated by the architect Jens Bull and the painters Trygve Eide and Moritz Kaland. The new concept was to create a travelling exhibition: with the first showing in Bergen Art Society, and two consecutive exhibitions in the art societies of Stavanger and Trondheim.

Just Bing in Bergen Aftenblad summarised the exhibition as “native West Norwegian art”: a majority showed landscape motifs of a regional character. West Norway – as it is depicted by Astrup, Bernt Tunold and Bernhard Greve – is genuine and accomplished, but Bing feels that it lacks incitement: “Talent does not raise its head up, there is no opposition, no exclamation mark”.

The exhibition had about 4000 visitors. 

Bergens Kunstforening. Utstilling av vestlandsk og trøndersk kunst. Bergen: Bergens kunstforening, 1926.